Our Educational Program
SMU is very proud of the quality, integrity, and flexibility of the programming we offer in your quest to become an expert FNP. In this section, you will learn about the fulltime course sequencing of the online FNP program and view course descriptions. We also provide a look at curriculum vitae of our core faculty who will be responsible for managing your learning experiences.
Advanced nursing education in primary patient care
Family nurse practitioners play a significant role in promoting overall wellness for their patients and counseling about healthy habits and preventive care, in addition to treating acute and chronic illnesses. The online Master of Science in Nursing – Family Nurse Practitioner program at Samuel Merritt University offers the opportunity to develop the skills you need to make a difference in the lives of patients and your community as a primary health care provider.
You will build on your experience as an RN by developing the clinical knowledge and practical skills you need to gain licensure as a Family Nurse Practitioner, with a special focus on meeting the needs of underserved communities. After licensure, you can practice in settings such as:
- Private practice (sole practitioner or in partnership with other NPs or physicians)
- Urgent care or emergency departments
- Clinics, including retail clinics
- Community health organizations
- Hospice care
- Long-term care facilities
What You Will Learn
The online Master of Science in Nursing – Family Nurse Practitioner program is designed to produce graduates who provide family-oriented, evidence-based primary healthcare to a high standard within multicultural contexts. Our graduates can:
- Consult and make referrals within interdisciplinary practices;
- Develop thorough, accurate medical histories with their patients through examinations, performance and/or interpretation of diagnostic tests, and analysis of data;
- Establish and implement care plans based on patient needs and monitor on-going effectiveness;
- Promote healthy living habits and provide advice about preventive care;
- Produce graduate-level research of superior quality that can withstand peer review;
- Act as a professional leader and patient advocate at the local, regional, national, or global level.