Applicants to the Master of Science in Nursing programs at Samuel Merritt University must hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited program and an active Registered Nurse license in one of the following states:
Family Nurse Practitioner Applicants:
Nurses with a bachelor’s degree in another field may apply, but will be evaluated on an individual basis and may need to take additional courses. In addition, all applicants must have completed an undergraduate-level statistics course, earning at least a “C” grade, and have a personal computer with Internet access.
How to Apply
Nurses who meet the qualifications above must:
- Complete our application form and pay the $70.00 application fee.
- Provide official transcripts of all previous academic and professional coursework completed or in progress prior to admission, including evidence of a statistics course passed with at least a “C” grade.
- Provide evidence of recent experience in clinical practice as a registered nurse.
- Submit a goal statement that clearly articulates your academic and career goals.
- Provide two letters of reference which speak to your clinical capabilities and academic aptitude for graduate study.
- Obtain, and provide results of, a criminal background check (the cost of the background check is your responsibility).
- Complete a personal interview.
Post-Master’s FNP Certificate Admission Requirements:
- The requirements for the Post-Master’s FNP Certificate are the same as what is listed above, except that you must hold a Master of Science in Nursing with at least a 3.0 GPA.
Your success in obtaining an interview depends upon:
- How well you meet the application criteria.
- The quality and presentation of your application materials.
- The quality and professionalism of any communications you may have with the Office of Admission or program staff during the application process.
- Your understanding of the advanced practice role.
All admissions decisions issued by the University are final.
Samuel Merritt University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide official transcript ordering online. To order your official transcripts, you can visit the National Student Clearinghouse Transcript Ordering Center. Transcripts must be sent to NursingCAS, the Nursing Centralized Application Service (http://www.nursingcas.org/).
If you have questions about the admissions process or your application, please contact us today:
Samuel Merritt University
3100 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 1000
Oakland, California 94609
510-869-6576 or toll-free: 800-607-6377